|Name||:||Dr. Natarajan Velmurugan|
|Qualification||:||M. Sc, Ph. D|
|Contact Details||:||Ph: +91-360-2244220, Mobile: +91-9488975092, Fax: 0360-2244220|
|Email id||:||firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
- Our laboratory research focused on development of medicinal and economically important native plants through biotechnological approaches.
- We are interested on developing flow cytometry based evolutionary techniques related to next generation fuels and high-value products from microalgae
- We are using genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic tools to understand the endo-symbiotic relationships between microbes and plants and to understand metabolic pathways for value-added products production.
- We are also focusing on isolation of bioactive compounds from freshwater and extreme environment microbes for various industrial applications.
- Sustainable utilization of medicinal aromatic & economic plants: Exploration & utilization of medicinal & economic plants of Arunachal Pradesh through development of agro-technology and chemical investigation, 2012-2017 (MLP 8000 B).
- DST-INSPIRE Faculty project, 2015-2020 (DST/INSIPIRE Faculty Award/2016/DST/INSPIRE/04/2015/000033)
List of Publications (Most Recent Ten)
Total No. of Publications: 20, Patent Filed: 01
Book chapter: Published
- N Velmurugan, M Sung, SS Yim, MS Park, JW Yang, KJ Jeong (2014) Systematically programmed adaptive evolution reveals potential role of carbon and nitrogen pathways during lipid accumulation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 7: 117.
- N Velmurugan, Y Sathishkumar, SS Yim, YS Lee, MS Park, JW Yang, KJ Jeong (2014) Study of cellular development and intracellular lipid bodies accumulation in the thraustochytrid Aurantiochytrium sp. KRS101. Bioresource Technology, 161: 149-154.
- Y Sathishkumar, N Velmurugan, HM Lee, K Rajagopal, CK Im, YS Lee (2014) Effect of low shear modeled microgravity on phenotypic and central chitin metabolism in filamentous fungi Aspergillus niger and Penicillium chrysogenum. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology, 106: 197-209.
- N Velmurugan, M Sung, SS Yim, MS Park, JW Yang, KJ Jeong (2013) Evaluation of intracellular lipid bodies in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii strains by flow cytometry. Bioresource Technology, 138: 30-37.
- JH Lee, N Velmurugan, KJ Jeong (2013) Novel strategy for production of aggregation-prone proteins and lytic enzymes in Escherichia coli based on an anchored periplasmic expression system. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering 116: 638-643.
- N Velmurugan, HS Kim, KJ Jeong (2011) Enhanced production of human FcγRIIa receptor by high cell density cultivation of Escherichia coli. Protein Expression and Purification, 79(1): 60-65.
- N Velmurugan, D Kalpana, JH Han, HJ Cha, YS Lee (2011) A novel low temperature chitinase from the marine fungus Plectosphaerella sp. strain MF-1. Botanica Marina, 54: 75-81.
- N Velmurugan, D Kalpana, JY Cho, GH Lee, SH Park, YS Lee (2011) Phylogenetic analysis of culturable marine bacteria in sediments from South Korean Yellow Sea. Microbiology, 80(2): 261-272.
Book chapter: Published
- N Velmurugan, YS Lee (2012) “Enzymes from marine fungi: current research and future prospects” in marine fungi and fungal-like organisms (Eds. EB Gareth Jones and Ka Lai Pang), Chapter 21, page no. 441-474, Botanica Marina, De Gruyter, Genthiner Strabe 113, 10785 Berlin, Germany.
Patent: PCT Published
- YS Lee, N Velmurugan, CY Choi (2011) Korean patent (10-2008-0074258) – Wood Antimicrobe Containing Chitosan and Silver Particles and Method Thereof. (Korean title - 은나노입자와 키토산이 함유된 목재방미제 및 그 제조방법).
Awards and Fellowships
- DST-INSPIRE Faculty Award, 8th Batch, Plant and Agriculture Division, 2015-2020.
- MPGI Travel Grant Award to attend Algal Biomass Summit 2015 (ABO 2015) held in Washington D.C., award provided by Microbial and Plant Genomic Institute, MN.
- Best Poster Award in 3rd Asian-Oceania Algae Innovation Summit – AOAIS 2014 held in Daejeon, South Korea.
- Best Poster Award in Young Asian Biochemical Engineers Conference – YABEC 2012 held in Tokushima, Japan.
- CityU-Molitoris Scholarships for Marine Mycology (2011), provided by City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Outstanding Poster Award in Asian Mycological Congress 2011 and 12th International Marine and Freshwater Mycological Symposium (AMC and IMFMS 2011) held in Incheon, South Korea.
- BK21 Post Doctoral Fellowship from Dec. 2010 to Feb. 2013, and BK21 Plus Post Doctoral Fellowship from Jun. 2014 to Sep. 2014 at Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, KAIST.
- Research Training Fellowship Award 2005, provided by University of Madras, Chennai, and worked in Department of Biotechnology, University of Madras during May 2005 to June 2005 – Research title “Molecular characterization of Vibrio sp.”.